Profile of professional quality proofreading and editorial services from Stephen York Editorial, Leicester
Proofreading: Do you need help?
The chances are that if you are looking at this website, and this profile page in particular, you have an important document or publication that you are finalizing and require proofreading. You may want some reassurance and certainty. That is understandable, as you want to create a good impression.
You might need my help because:
- You may not be entirely sure you have spotted every single error or inconsistency when reading it back.
- You cannot be sure you are reading what is actually on the page or screen rather than what you think is there.
- You are anxious not to be embarrassed for putting a document, book, or report in the public domain that is littered with errors.
Profile of proofreading help I can offer
- eliminate the spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors, as well as improve your writing
- advise on clichéd writing and inconsistencies of style, spelling, capitalization and so on
- recommend better and more efficient ways for you to express yourself and communicate your message.
What personally can I offer you?
Regardless of whether I am proofreading or rewriting for academics, authors, businesses, publishers, not-for-profit organizations, or students, I can provide:
- friendly, personal, and confidential proofreading and writing services
- over 30 years’ experience as a British-native proofreader having proofread an extensive variety of documents and publications in a wide range of subjects
- a fresh and objective review in proofreading or revising your document
- a good work ethic, being prepared to go the extra mile to achieve excellence
- good communication links, with superfast fibre-optic broadband (100MB)
- up-to-date computer facilities using Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC, and PerfectIt Pro by Intelligent Editing
- testimonials and feedback from satisfied recent clients – see the Testimonials page on this site or the testimonial extract below
- flexible methods of payment.
“The author for this title is very demanding. Stephen has done a great job coordinating with her and delivering the collated files ahead of the schedule. Job well done!”
(Project manager of academic book)
Coverage – what, where, and who?
Rather than reading paper copy, I offer on-screen and online editorial services that include
- proof-editing / light editing
- rewriting and condensing.
Working on screen is more environmentally friendly as it saves on ink, paper, postage, and other resources. I proofread a wide variety of media in numerous subject areas, some of which are specialty subjects.
Whether you have website material, a book, or a report you have good reasons for choosing particular words, I will always be mindful of those reasons. I ensure not only that your writing is as clear, consistent, and error-free as possible, but also that it is free-flowing and that it retains the author’s voice. My dedicated treatment of clients’ words has resulted in a very high level of repeat business over the years from satisfied customers.
If you are unsure about the proofreading process then find out here: Marking up the editorial corrections. This will also apply to other editorial services that I carry out.
WHERE AM I?
I can work from my office in Leicestershire, UK for anyone, anywhere, on electronic files sent by email or FTP sites.
WHO AM I?
For over 30 years I have been offering on-screen / digital editorial proofreading services (comprising proofreading and collation, paraphrasing and rewriting) from an office in Wigston, near Leicester, in the UK to the book and journal publishing industry, commercial companies, design and advertising agencies, educational institutions and students. In that time I have proofread over 2000 books, journal issues, and business documents in a wide range of subject areas.
Affiliations: I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Chartered Institute of Editors and Proofreaders (CIEP)
I am a practising amateur astronomer (a member of the British Astronomical Association) and a keen gardener.
Legal status: Sole trader.
Tax status: Freelance self-employed registered with HMRC (so no unexpected employment expenses for you to pay).
WHO ARE YOU?
I can help anyone who works with printed, published, or online text, and welcome enquiries for document correction, proofreading, and rewriting from various client types. Please click on one of the following page links for the type of service that you require:
A proofreader’s blog: Proofreading matters
I regularly publish entertaining and informative blog articles on the English language, from a proofreader’s point of view. Recent subjects have included tips for writers, acidic quotations from authors on other authors, the working environment, achieving the work–life balance, and much more. Why not pay a visit?