What are the benefits of proofreading?
Why proofread when you can use a spellchecker? Well, spellcheckers can be useful in a limited way but should not be relied upon in place of an experienced professional proofreader who can provide these additional benefits and advantages of proofreading:
- provide objectivity and a fresh pair of eyes as the author of a document or publication will often read what they expect to see
- check on word usage and identify or amend words or phrases that your spellchecker would not spot, such as using ‘that’ instead of ‘than’, or ‘to’ instead of ‘too’
- check spelling and correct misspelled words or identify words used in the wrong context, e.g. ‘their’, ‘there’ or ‘they’re’
- check punctuation, grammar, and capitalization style
- avoid repetition of words, phrases, or ideas
- check the clarity and consistency of your message and that it is suitable for the intended readership
- smooth out differences in style where there are multiple authors or contributors to a document or publication
- provide peace of mind and assurance that your document is the best that you can make it and will be understood by the reader
- help protect your business or brand from damage caused by documents containing errors or confused wording
- add value to your business in ensuring you produce correct, concise, clear, and consistent written communications that reduce misunderstandings and queries
- save money by picking up errors much earlier and avoiding costly reprints.
I would recommend him without reservation to anyone seeking the highest level of proofreading skills.
Dangers of failing to proofread
- A high percentage of job interviewers are looking for good language skills and will discard applicants who make mistakes in their CVs and covering letters.
- Students can lose marks as failing to proofread properly can cost as much as 10 per cent of their overall grade.
Check for other problems caused by lack of proper proofreading in my blog The dangers of failing to proofread.
The humble typo not only has the power to make us appear less intelligent than we are. Poor spelling can also create confusion, a loss of clarity and meaning and in extreme cases it can cost millions in missed sales and job opportunities.
Do not gamble with the reputation and future of yourself or your business – invest in quality proofreading from Stephen York Editorial Services. The cost of proofreading could work out less than you think, but the cost of not proofreading could be substantially more!
Contact me now to plan your success.
For some examples of the value of proofreading see the page Proofreading case studies.