Services for businesses: organizations, non-profits, agencies, charities, clubs, and societies and jobseekers
I offer proofreading and other editorial services for all types of businesses and non-profit bodies. These involve digital mark-up on screen and can include:
- proofreading blind or cold (that is, without edited author copy)
- checking to house style writing style or providing advice on updating or establishing a house style
- checking for consistency of tone
- harmonizing style and formatting of documents that have been compiled from contributions from several personnel or sources
- further editorial services: paraphrasing, rewriting and condensing.
Suggested proofreading applications
The following are just a few proofreading applications:
- CVs, covering letters, and application forms
- LinkedIn profiles and profiles for other social media
- business formation documents and forms
- corporate literature
- emails (see Tip 2 below)
- external and internal communications, including letters
- marketing literature, such as advertising and brochures
- PowerPoint presentations
- reports (see Tip 1 below)
- website material.
See the Media handled section below for more details.
TIP 1: WRITING REPORTS
If you are preparing a report I give some useful advice in compiling and designing reports in my blog Tips for writers: Writing reports
In their headlong rush to communicate as much information and data as possible to their readers, many authors of reports often neglect to pay sufficient attention to how they communicate the facts and figures to their audience. Some of the factors that lead to poor-quality output include:
cluttered and fussy visual appearance
inconsistencies of style
poor presentation of data.
In this first part I will concentrate on visual appearance. . . .
In part 1 of Writing reports I discussed the importance of creating a simple and appealing visual appearance using several techniques, and in part 2 I discuss consistency of style.
It is important to maintain a consistent style so as not to confuse or annoy the reader. By ‘style’ I mean the following factors: . . .
In this final part I will discuss how to present data. Lack of space prevents a full analysis of the ways to present textual and numerical data, so the following is just a brief summary. . . .
TIP 2: THE IMPORTANCE OF PROOFREADING EMAILS
Because of the speed and urgency of emails it is easy to make mistakes that are not spotted before pressing the send button. If it is an email for a mass-marketing campaign much reputational damage can be caused. Try using preformed templates that have been proofread and only amend or add material to them when necessary and after a further proofread.
How proof corrections are marked up
For details of how the proofreading is marked up please see the section elsewhere Marking up the editorial corrections.
With MS Word documents the Track changes tool will be used to record my corrections, comments, and queries. With PDFs I will use Adobe Acrobat’s editing tools.
Media handled in more detail
I can offer proofreading and other editorial services for a range of media:
- Annual accounts and reports
- Bids, proposals, and tenders
- Books and handbooks
- Business documents (such as agreements, contracts, and terms and conditions, business plans)
- Case studies
- CD and DVD covers
- Company formation documents, such as Memorandum and Articles of Association, mission statement and business plan
- Corporate literature
- Distance learning modules, such as for SmartScreen
- Educational materials, such as course notes and study guides
- Financial reports
- Investment reports
- Journals – academic and vocational
- Marketing literature, including brochures, case studies, and flyers
- Mission statements
- Newsletters, for example for society members, company employees or customers
- Packaging, labelling and instructions for use
- PowerPoint presentations
- Press releases
- Rules and regulations for clubs and societies
- Social media posts and profiles, especially LinkedIn
- Textbooks and teacher / lecturer resource manuals
- Travel guides
- Website material (in PDF or Word format, not live sites).
Full payment should be made
- within 30 days of the date of my invoice for established / repeat clients
- before release of document for new clients.
Please refer to my Terms and Conditions page.