Proofreading services for publishers
Proofreading services are offered to publishers for books, journals, and reports on screen in a wide variety of subjects.
- against edited copy or blind/cold
- checking proofs to house style
- checking hyperlinks
- raising queries directly with the authors
- collating authors’ replies and corrections into master first proofs
- checking proofreading revised proofs.
I have proofread for many publishers over the years, including Blackwell Publishing, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Routledge / Taylor and Francis, Sage Publications, The Stationery Office, and University College London Press.
Paper proofs are not routinely handled due to change in demand towards digital proofreading, although exceptions may be made for publishers who will arrange to deliver and collect the proofs by courier services.
Payment by publishers
Full payment should be made within 30 days of the date of my invoice by transfer direct to my bank account.
Proofreading services for academics, authors, bloggers, and other writers
You might be:
- a self-publishing author
- an author who already has a publisher who requires you to check your own proofs or arrange for someone to do so
- an academic or writer about to submit a paper or article to a journal or magazine (academics: please visit Proofreading for the education sector page)
- a contributor to a multi-author book
- a writer of a blog or column.
Proofreading of books, journals, reports, articles, and papers on screen in a wide variety of subjects:
- proofs read word by word manually
- checking to publisher’s house style or to author’s own*
- raising queries and making suggestions on rephrasing to avoid inconsistency, repetition, or ambiguity.
* For larger jobs, if I am not supplied with a stylesheet I will compile one from my observations as I proofread your book / document. The list will include such topics as:
- capitalization of commonly used words or phrases
- unique or variant spellings
- use of italics
- presentation of numbers: amounts, measurements, and dates
Payment by academics, authors, bloggers, and other writers
A non-refundable booking fee of 50% will be paid to me to reserve the time in my schedule and as authority to start work. The balance of any fees (around 50%) needs to be settled before the completed work is released. See the Terms and Conditions page for details. For methods of payment see Pay me page. Payment will only be accepted from the author or academic personally and not from an educational institution (they are often too slow and bureaucratic).
Usually for new client authors payment for the first project should be settled by bank transfer or other agreed method of payment before release of the completed corrected proofs. Repeat clients may be offered terms.