Proofreading services offered to publishers, authors and academics
Proofreading services are offered to publishers and authors for books, journals, and reports on screen in a wide variety of subjects:
- against edited copy or blind/cold
- checking proofs to house style
- checking hyperlinks
- raising queries directly with the authors
- collating authors’ replies and corrections into master first proofs
- checking proofreading revised proofs.
I have proofread for many publishers over the years, including Blackwell Publishing, Oxford University Press, Pearson Education, Routledge / Taylor and Francis, Sage Publications, The Stationery Office, and University College London Press.
Paper proofs are not routinely handled due to change in demand towards digital proofreading, although exceptions may be made for publishers who will arrange to deliver and collect the proofs by courier services.
Payment by publishers
Full payment should be made within 30 days of the date of my invoice by transfer direct to my bank account.
Proofreading services offered to academics, bloggers, and writers
You might be:
- a self-publishing author
- an author who already has a publisher who requires you to check your own proofs or arrange for someone to do so
- an academic or writer about to submit a paper or article to a journal or magazine
- a contributor to a multi-author book
- a writer of a blog or column.
Proofreading of books, journals, and reports on screen in a wide variety of subjects:
- proofs read word by word manually
- checking to publisher’s house style or to author’s own*
- raising queries and making suggestions on rephrasing to avoid inconsistency, repetition, or ambiguity
- collating author’s replies and corrections into master proofs.
* If I am not supplied with a stylesheet I will compile one from my observations as I proofread your book / document. The list will include such topics as:
- capitalization of commonly used words or phrases
- unique or variant spellings
- use of italics
- presentation of numbers: amounts, measurements, and dates
This will show you the proofreader’s decisions when you are reviewing the proofread material.
For details of how the proofreading is marked up please see Marking up the editorial corrections section on the Editorial services page.
Testimonials from authors
“Can I say a big thank you for the work you have done with my book; excellent and professional. I do hope you will be able to continue to work with me on future projects.”
(DK, self-publishing author)
“On behalf of our team I would like to express our thanks to you for your professionalism, timeliness, expertise and good humour in dealing with our idiosyncrasies. It is truly a pleasure to work with someone who is competent and professional.”
(M. Mendenhall, lead author of textbook)
Payment by authors and academics
A non-refundable booking fee of 50% will be paid to me to reserve the time in my schedule and as authority to start work. The balance of any fees (around 50%) needs to be settled before the completed work is released. See the Terms and Conditions page for details. For methods of payment see Pay me page. Payment will only be accepted from the author or academic personally and not from an educational institution (they are often too slow and bureaucratic).
Usually for new client authors payment for the first project should be settled by bank transfer or other agreed method of payment before release of the completed corrected proofs. Repeat clients may be offered terms.