For over 25 years I have been offering on-screen / digital editorial proofreading services (comprising proofreading, collation, and light editing) from an office in Wigston, near Leicester, in the UK to the book and journal publishing industry, commercial companies, design and advertising agencies, educational institutions, and authors. In that time I have proofread over 2000 books, journal issues, and business documents in a wide range of subject areas.
Before becoming a freelance proofreader I had employment experience in:
- retail banking
- investment management and residential mortgage lending for a building society
- estate management for a national brewer’s tied estate (pubs and off-licences, as well as land and unlicensed residential properties)
- investment management for the same national brewery in the free trade sector.
Why choose Stephen York?
I can provide:
- a friendly, personal, and confidential service
- long experience in proofreading an extensive variety of documents and publications in a wide range of subjects
- a fresh and objective view of your document or publication
- a good work ethic, being prepared to go the extra mile to achieve excellence
- good communication links, with superfast fibre-optic broadband (70MB)
- up-to-date computer facilities using Windows 10, Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC 2015, and PerfectIt Pro by Intelligent Editing
- testimonials and feedback from satisfied recent clients
- flexible methods of payment.
“The author for this title is very demanding. Stephen has done a great job coordinating with her and delivering the collated files ahead of the schedule. Job well done!”
(Testimonial from academic publishing client)
Clink the following link to view, print, or download my CV in PDF format.
I am an Advanced Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders, and follow the SfEP’s Code of Practice. This means that you can rely on me to behave in a professional manner and to adhere to the high standards you would expect from a professional proofreader.
The Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) publishes on its website the following tips for getting the best from your freelance proofreader or copy-editor:
There is plenty of useful information to create a smooth and productive relationship with an editorial freelancer.
Gardening, history, music (classical and classic rock), popular astronomy, science fiction, walking (urban).
Freelance self-employed registered with HMRC.