What is proofreading?
Proofreading is the close and detailed reading of a document or publication in order to check and correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and consistency errors, as already covered on the benefits of proofreading page. (Please note that I only handle proofreading on screen, not on paper. This is more environmentally friendly.)
As a proofreader I can also alert you to the use of clichéd and stale writing and inconsistencies of language, layout, formatting, and presentation of facts and data. I can also test the hyperlinks in your document to ensure they are functioning.
I will also comment on awkward and ambiguous wording, and offer solutions where possible, but not to the extent of copy-editing or rewriting. Changes, queries, or suggestions will be marked on Word documents using the Track Changes tool or on PDFs using Adobe Acrobat editing tools.
If you are finding it difficult getting that publication into shape before the deadline, get help and hire a proofreader
What can you expect from proofreading?
Not perfection, but as close as is humanly possible perhaps.
Please note that proof correction does not include:
- copyright permissions
- literary appraisal or criticism
- page design and layout
- rewriting and development editing.
Proofreading media handled
- Annual accounts and reports
- Bids, proposals, and tenders
- Books and handbooks
- Business documents (such as agreements, contracts, and terms and conditions)
- Case studies
- Corporate literature
- Distance learning modules
- Educational materials
- Financial reports
- Investment reports
- Journals – academic and vocations
- Marketing literature, including brochures case studies, and flyers
- Mission statements
- Packaging, labelling and instructions for use
- PowerPoint presentations
- Press releases
- Social media posts and profiles
- Textbooks and teacher / lecturer resource manuals
- Travel guides
- Website material (in PDF or Word format, not live sites).
“I’ve engaged Stephen as a proofreader on a multitude of projects over the years. He has worked on higher education and further education textbooks as well as online resources for me, and has always delivered on time to a very high standard. …”
(Testimonial from educational publishing client)
All proofreading carried out will be subject to my Terms and Conditions of Business.