Services offered to educational institutions and students
I offer on-screen proofreading for schools, colleges, universities, academics, and students for
- academic papers
- course notes
- dissertations, essays, and theses
- distance / online learning modules
- PowerPoint presentations
- website material.
I have several years’ experience in proofreading the above media for
- Cengage Learning: books, textbooks, and management education and career development books
- City & Guilds Institute, London: vocational learning modules
- Edinburgh Business School: course notes
- HarperCollins publishers: textbooks
- National Children’s Bureau: books, reports, and teacher resources
- Oxford University Press: academic books
- Pearson Education: academic books, textbooks, and management education and career development books
- UCL Institute of Education Press: books, reports, and journals on education
- UCL Press: books and journals on education and cultural studies
- University of Leicester School of Business (formerly School of Management): online distance learning modules / course material.
“I’ve engaged Stephen as a proofreader on a multitude of projects over the years. He has worked on higher education and further education textbooks as well as online resources for me, and has always delivered on time to a very high standard. He pays meticulous attention to detail and raises valid author and editorial queries where necessary. … “
(Testimonial from educational publishing client)
The media I have handled relate to all stages of education and learning, from primary school right through to further education, vocational training, and management career development.
Extent of service for students
Proofreading of the text will only be undertaken in accordance with your university’s rules. Please ensure you have your supervisor’s permission to use a professional proofreader – some universities do not allow this or have very strict rules. It would be helpful to me if you provided me with a link to your university’s rules for proofreading.
I will not carry out major formatting to improve visual appearance or hierarchy of headings, nor writing or rewriting.
What is included
Usually, the following checks and corrections are permissible:
- checking for correct and consistent spelling; UK and US English handled
- checking punctuation, grammar, and consistency of capitalization
- correcting or highlighting incorrect word usage such as “their” for “there”
- raising queries or making suggestions on sentences that do not make sense (if they cannot be eliminated by minor changes to punctuation or wording by me)
- checking text references to citations in the references or bibliography sections but not their accuracy or validity
- highlighting repetition, inconsistencies, and over-long sentences or paragraphs
- undertaking basic formatting such as deleting double spaces between words or sentences.
All corrections and queries will be made using tracked changes in MS Word – you will be able to accept or reject each one individually.
What is not included
Based on the usual stipulations in university guidelines, the following are usually excluded:
- checking equations or calculations, or figures in tables or diagrams
- checking for factual errors
- rewriting to improve style or to reduce the word count
- creating a table of contents or reference list
- checking for plagiarism – it is your legal responsibility to avoid using someone else’s writing and passing it off as your own
- checking that the content of your document meets your educational institution’s guidelines.
Please allow plenty of time when sending documents for proofreading. A thorough, high-quality job requires sufficient time. For instance, 80,000 words cannot be properly proofread in a couple of days.
Payment by students
A deposit of at least 50 per cent will be paid to me as your acceptance of my estimate and as authorization to start proofreading. The balance of any fees needs to be settled before the completed work is released.
If you cancel the proofread after I have accepted the document and deposit, then providing I have completed less than 50 per cent of the proofreading, no further money is due from you. If the job is over halfway completed, I reserve the right to invoice for the remaining amount of the agreed fee for the whole project.