I have wide experience in many proofreading subject areas (specialty proofreading subject areas are highlighted in bold with some further details further down the page:
- accounting (including bookkeeping, and cost, financial, general, and management accounting)
- astronomy (general / popular / beginners), artificial satellites, space exploration, cosmology – I am an amateur astronomer, a member of the British Astronomical Association and the Society for Popular Astronomy, and a former visual observer for the Satellite Orbits Group at the Radio and Space Research Station, Slough*
- banking and investment
- business and management (including organizational behaviour and strategic management)
- commercial real estate / residential real estate
- economics and economic geography
- education (primary, secondary, further, higher, business, professional, and vocational)
- finance and financial risk
- history (especially twentieth century and ancient Greek)**
- marketing and brand management
- military and defence
- politics and current affairs
- property management, building construction, surveying, and valuation
- theology and religion.
*I have a special interest in the Apollo space programme.
**I have a special interest in Richard III, king of England.
I also have experience in proofreading non-academic (trade) books on classic cars, crafts, DIY, fishing, gardening, pets, sailing, and sport.
Subjects I do not proofread
- mathematics and statistics
As a matter of policy I do not proofread material related to
- erotica / pornography
- bad language / swearing
- hate speech
- racism / sexism / homophobia.
Specialty proofreading subject areas
For over 30 years I have proofread books, journals, and other publications in a wide variety of subjects, and during this time and in previous employment I have built up knowledge and experience in particular fields.
Accounting, banking, business, economics, and finance
For over 30 years I have proofread many dozens of books on:
- accounting (all types, for example Colin Drury’s Cost Accounting)
- investment (for example periodic reports for an actuary).
I addition I have proofread the following quarterly journals for some years:
and helped to maintain and develop a standard house style for these journals.
Astronomy, space exploration, and cosmology
I am an amateur astronomer, a member of the British Astronomical Association, and a member of the Society for Popular Astronomy. I am a former visual observer of artificial Earth satellites for the Satellite Orbits Group at the Radio and Space Research Station at Slough.
Commercial real estate
For some years I have proofread the following quarterly journals:
and helped to maintain and enhance a standard house style for these publications. See Henry Stewart Publications.
I have many years’ experience in proofreading hundreds of books and other media for
- Cengage Learning: books, textbooks, and management education and career development book
- City & Guilds Institute, London: vocational learning modules
- Edinburgh Business School: course notes
- HarperCollins Publishers: textbooks
- National Children’s Bureau: books, reports, and teacher resources
- Oxford University Press: academic and business books
- Pearson Education: academic books, textbooks, and management education and career development books
- Routledge: academic and business books
- UCL Institute of Education Press: books, reports, and journals on education
- UCL Press: books and journals on education and cultural studies
- University of Leicester School of Business (formerly School of Management): online distance learning modules / course material.