I have wide experience in many proofreading subject areas (specialty proofreading subject areas are highlighted in bold with some further details further down the page:
- accounting (including bookkeeping, and cost, financial, general, and management accounting)
- astronomy (general/popular), artificial satellites, and space exploration – I am a practising amateur astronomer and a member of the British Astronomical Association and the Society for Popular Astronomy, and a former visual observer for the Satellite Orbits Group at Appleton Laboratory
- banking and investment
- building appraisal, survey, and valuation
- business and management (including organizational behaviour and strategic management)
- corporate real estate / residential real estate (including workplace design, planning and strategy; space optimization and cost efficiency; sustainability and waste minimization; automation)
- economics and economic geography
- education (primary, secondary, further, higher, business, professional, and vocational)
- education theory and practice
- finance and financial risk, loans, leases, and mortgages
- history (especially twentieth century and ancient Greek)
- human resources and training
- law (all areas)
- marketing and brand management
- military and defence
- philosophy and ethics
- politics and current affairs
- property management (including repairs and renewals, rates, rent, and insurance)
- social and cultural studies, including poverty and social exclusion
- theology and religion
- travel, tourism, and exploration (e.g. mountaineering and polar).
I also have experience in proofreading non-academic (trade) books on classic cars, crafts, DIY, fishing, gardening, pets, sailing, and sport.
Specialty proofreading subject areas
For over 30 years I have proofread books, journals, and other publications in a wide variety of subjects, and during this time and in previous employment I have built up knowledge and experience in particular fields.
Accounting, banking, business, economics, and finance
Practical employment experience
I had several years’ experience working in retail banking and a building society, during which time my duties included:
- branch balance sheets
- investment accounts
- mortgage lending
- safe custody and securities.
For over 30 years I have proofread many dozens of books on:
- accounting (all types, for example Colin Drury’s Cost Accounting)
- investment (for example periodic reports for an actuary).
I addition I have proofread the following quarterly journals for some years:
- Journal of Payments Strategy and Systems
- Journal of Risk Management and Financial Institutions
- Journal of Securities Operations & Custody
and helped to maintain and develop a standard house style for these journals.
Astronomy and space exploration
I am a practising amateur astronomer, a member of the British Astronomical Association and a member of the Society for Popular Astronomy, and a former visual observer of artificial Earth satellites for the Science Research Council’s Satellite Orbits Group (then at Slough).
Corporate real estate
Practical employment experience
For several years I worked in the estate department (later the property department) in the tied tenanted / managed public house division, and in the free trade finance division of a major UK brewer. During this time my responsibilities included:
- acquisitions and disposals
- debt recovery
- insurance cover and claims
- leases, licences, and mortgages
- licensed and unlicensed property rents
- rating assessments and appeals
- secured and unsecured lending.
For some years I have proofread the following quarterly journals:
and helped to maintain and enhance a standard house style for these publications. See Henry Stewart Publications.
I have many years’ experience in proofreading hundreds of books and other media for
- Cengage Learning: books, textbooks, and management education and career development book
- City & Guilds Institute, London: vocational learning modules
- Edinburgh Business School: course notes
- HarperCollins Publishers: textbooks
- National Children’s Bureau: books, reports, and teacher resources
- Oxford University Press: academic and business books
- Pearson Education: academic books, textbooks, and management education and career development books
- Routledge: academic and business books
- UCL Institute of Education Press: books, reports, and journals on education
- UCL Press: books and journals on education and cultural studies
- University of Leicester School of Business (formerly School of Management): online distance learning modules / course material.
For many years I proofread philosophy titles for Routledge, by or on the following philosophers: Pierre Bourdieu, Michel Foucault, David Hume, George Herbert Mead, M. Merleau-Ponty, George Simmel, Baruch Spinoza, Paul Virilio, and Ludwig Wittgenstein.
More recently I have proofread philosophy for Oxford University Press. See examples in recent proofreading projects completed.
Subjects I do not proofread
- mathematics and statistics
As a matter of policy I do not proofread material related to
- erotica / pornography
- bad language / swearing
- hate speech
- racism / sexism / homophobia.