Language consultancy rates
This is a premium service completely separate from proofreading and will be charged for at a higher, usually hourly, rate. A typical starting rate would be £25.00 per hour upwards.
No two jobs are identical and it would be unhelpful and misleading to publish fixed proofreading fees here as the final bill would depend on:
- the quality of writing and number of errors corrected
- the density of text on the page
- use of technical language
- bibliography, references, and endnotes/footnotes to be checked to the main text
- cross-references to be checked
- whether the document has already been copy-edited.
Minimum invoice value is £20.00. No VAT is payable on my fees.
Rates typically offered or paid by existing proofreading clients range from £16.00 to £24.00 per hour, depending on complexity of the work. This equates roughly to a range of £6.50 to £9.50 per thousand words.
Two-page CV / resumé plus covering letter proofread for a fixed £20.00.
At the same time why not have your LinkedIn profile proofread and checked to your CV for only an extra £5.00?
Payment in advance by direct bank transfer is required.
I am prepared to consider a fixed-fee budget or a fixed rate per A4 page depending on the circumstances.
For a no-obligation estimate of cost please email me with details of your project.
Invoices are payable within 30 days of invoice date with invoices issued on the day of completion of work. Payment terms will vary for individuals, such as authors and students, and those not based in the UK.
For those non-business clients, such as academics, authors and students, who do not qualify for payment terms of 30 days, there are the following methods of payment before the documents or publications are returned corrected.
Payment is accepted by direct bank transfer (BACS) using PC or mobile internet banking – bank account details will be provided to you on an emailed invoice. Please allow up to three days in the bank clearing system, although some banks operate a Faster Payments System for transfers within 2 hours – for example, Barclays Bank and HSBC.
Payments can be made by credit card using Stripe.
- Just tell me if you want to make a credit card payment and I will email you an invoice on which there is a link to the secure payment facility.
- Click on that and fill in your credit card details. It can take around 2 days for payment to reach my bank account so allow plenty of time.
- There will be no additional charge for paying by credit card.
Academics, authors, and students with bank accounts based outside the UK can pay me at favourable exchange rates via my account with Transferwise. A payment request will be sent to you containing a link you can click on to make payment, which is usually received by me within 2 days.
Any agreement for proofreading services is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and the client agrees to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.