DISCOUNT: 25% for students’ proofreading
Student proofreading: who and what is covered
Proofreading for undergraduate, postgraduate, and mature students
I have extensive recent experience in student proofreading of dissertations, theses, and essays for native-British and international students (particularly proofreading for Chinese students studying in the UK), as well as their personal documents.
Media I can handle for you
- CVs / résumés
- personal statements and other documents.
They should be in Microsoft Word docx format (not rar).
Please check my proofreading subject areas for my specialisms although I am able to proofread in other subject areas.
Extent of student proofreading: what my proofreading will include
I am always happy to help students with their dissertations, essays, personal statements, proposals, and theses, especially if English is their second language (ESL), such as international students studying in the UK. I have recent and regular experience in proofreading essays and personal documents in English for Chinese students studying in the UK, and I welcome enquiries from all Asian students.
The extent of any proofreading I carry out will often be determined by your university’s proofreading guidance and rules. Usually my proofreading will include:
- spelling and hyphenation
- grammar and syntax.
What I WILL usually do in a student proofread
Normally, according to university proofreading regulations, I am allowed to carry out the following checks and corrections:
- checking for correct and consistent spelling; UK and US English handled
- checking punctuation, grammar, and consistency of capitalization
- correcting or highlighting incorrect word usage, such as “their” for “there”
- raising queries or making suggestions on sentences that do not make sense, for instance if they cannot be eliminated by minor changes to punctuation or wording by me
- checking text references to citations in the references or bibliography sections and their formatting but not their accuracy or validity
- highlighting repetition, inconsistencies, and over-long sentences or paragraphs. I can suggest solutions where possible
- undertaking basic formatting such as deleting double spaces between words or sentences or correcting inconsistent use of single and double quotation marks.
I will mark all corrections and queries using the Track changes tool in MS Word and you will be able to accept or reject each one individually, so retaining full control.
All my amendments and suggestions will be recorded using Track Changes in Microsoft Word for your review.
What I WILL NOT usually do in a student proofread
I will often not be allowed to carry out major reformatting to improve visual appearance or hierarchy of headings, not writing or rewriting. Based on the usual stipulations in university guidelines I will not be able to:
- check for factual errors or flaws in arguments
- major reformatting
- checking hierarchy of headings
- rewrite to reduce word count
- add my own written material
- advise on whether you have met university requirements
- check equations, tables and diagrams for accuracy.
Please ensure you are aware of your university’s proofreading rules and that you have your supervisor’s permission to use a professional proofreader. Some universities do not allow this or have very strict rules.
Please see the Students’ proofreading checklist page for further details.
Want to book me?
Please see dedicated subpage Students’ proofreading checklist for further details of the service offered to you, timing, and payment arrangements.
Feedback from satisfied students
Here’s what some international students had to say about their essays on marketing:
“I really appreciate your work, and it has really helped. I will have 4 more works need proofreading next month, if it is possible, may I ask you for long term cooperation?”
“Thank you for reviewing my essay. I am really happy with it.”
Also for a recent thesis on psychotherapy and counselling:
“Brilliant, thanks so much for this Stephen. Hope to be contacting you again soon.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.